Friday, April 17, 2009

Ryan Murphy back to making Tv Shows about High School that are Really, Really Gay

Let's face facts. The landscape of television entertainment has been bleak the last few years. With 298 channels available, there tends to be only 3 shows I bother to tivo at any given time. And two of those are news shows!

So I was thrilled when I just watched the previews for out-gay show runner Ryan Murphy's new Fox pilot, GLEE. It's a musical comedy about those tender years of academia by the guy that brought us Nip/Tuck, which translates to "this ain't your mama's High School Musical". 

It looks hysterical and stars the brilliant out lesbian actress Jane Lynch to boot, plus a hoard of young talent pilfered from recent Broadway productions.

Murphy's previous tome on high school life, POPULAR, was probably the gayest show I've seen on television in the last decade. And that's an accomplishment with two gay television networks out there. If you haven't caught that show yet, do yourself a huge favor and rent all the dvds and lock yourself away for a day and prepare to just die laughing. He managed to hysterically nail the minutiae of the high school rank and file system, while throwing in bits of cat fighting not seen since since Alexis and Krystal took a dip in the fountain. It was camp with a high dose of extremely accurate representations of what we all go through in those adolescent years. Plus, it's mind boggling how half the jokes made it past the censors!

Anyway, the new show looks to accomplish the same thing. Here's hoping Fox picks it up, and let me know what YOU think.


9 comments:

Mark in DE said...

I saw the trailer for this, and despite it being on FOX, I plan to check it out.

Anonymous said...

My cousin and I have said "I can't wait!" nearly every day since seeing that trailer...

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! I want to go back, but to THIS high school this time...

citizen spot said...

This looks absolutely fabulous! Teen angst, musical numbers and Jane Lynch! What's not to love?

Anonymous said...

That looked hilarious. Can't wait for it. And Jane Lynch is adorable. So funny!

BioGal said...

OMG! I am SO excited about this! I know it seems a rip-off of H.S.Musical, Sister ActII, Grease, etc. but these are GREAT movies, so to combine them with a little gayness thrown in - what's not to love? Also, Jane Lynch, need I say more?

Anonymous said...

Omg. I love Popular. I am so watching this.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I think I'm actually considering turning my cable back on to watch this show. LOVE EVERYTHING about that trailer. Jane Lynch is too much!

Daveinthe805 said...

This looks fantastic! I was laughing just at the trailer! Can't wait to see it.